If you are driving a car, you have to be very careful on the road to save others’ lives. But let’s face it, if you have had an accident, you need to know what your next step would be to move on. Even if you have not met an accident, being a responsible citizen, you need to know what to do in such a situation because someone else could need your help as well. Here we have gathered a checklist of the things you should do if you witness, meet, or hear of a car accident.
- The first and the foremost thing to know about the car accident is that you have to stop right there. Whether you were at fault or not, just do not run away.
- Give some indication or stand outside the car to tell the other drivers about the accident. Sometimes the accident is evident, but at the others, it is not. So give some signal of it.
- The next thing you will do is call the police on the spot so that they know the magnitude of damage and report the vehicles involved in the accident.
- If the police officer asks you about some facts regarding the car accident, make sure that you are talking nicely to him and telling him all the details correctly. If you have no idea of something, do not say anything about it because they are complicated and can damage someone badly.
- Taking some evidence of the spot is also very important, and with the mobile phone in your hand, it is now very much possible to do so. You can take the pictures of the scene, save them on your phone and show it to the inquiry officer so that he can make further investigations.
- Usually, the police arrive at the spot very quickly, but if they fail to do so, you can take things in your hand, write down the details of all the people involved in the accident, and can give them to the police once they arrive.
- If you have got some injuries in the accident, you need to get medical attention as soon as possible, but sometimes there are no visible injuries after the car accident. In that case, you still need to pay attention to your health because sometimes, the accident’s injuries are not visible, and the medical officer knows how to treat you and which questions to ask from you if you have got some internal injury.
- Protect your rights for the damage that you have faced in the accident by hiring an auto accident lawyer and claiming your compensation from the party responsible for it. Every state gives rights to the people who get affected in the accidents, and you have every right to claim the bills and damage compensation from the party responsible for it.